Interested in volunteering?
The Powell River Historical Museum & Archives (PRHMA) welcomes your support and dedication.
PRHMA plays a valuable role in preserving the cultural, historical, and documentary heritage Powell River and region from Desolation Sound to the Jervis Inlet including Harwood, Hernando, Savary and Texada islands. While the museum preserves objects and artifacts, the archives preserves written, visual, and oral records of the history of Powell River.
The Powell River Historical Museum & Archives Society is a Non-Profit Society. As such, we rely on funding from governments, donors, sponsors and the kindness of our volunteers to help run our museums and events.
By offering to be a volunteer for the PRHMA, you are embarking on a mission to inspire and educate the community about the history of Powell River and the region. We are passionate about our local history, and we hope you will share this passion with us.
There are many exciting and fun opportunities to volunteer at the PRHMA throughout the year. For students, these are a great way to earn your volunteer hours for school.
If you are interested in joining our team of volunteers please fill out a Volunteer Application Form, or email email@example.com to request an application.
As a volunteer at the Powell River Historical Museum & Archives you will:
- Experience wonderful and enriching opportunities,
- Be fulfilled with a great sense of achievement and personal growth,
- Be involved in a variety of tasks and projects
- Contribute to the enhancement and excellence of two museums
- With 40 hours (30 hours for students) of completed service receive a free 1 year membership to the PRHMA including 10% off in our Gift Shop and for Archival services.
There are a variety of positions available. While all of our volunteers serve the public, working directly with visitors is not a requirement for all positions.
- Archival Assistant (AA): AAs assist in a range of collections management, description and public access related duties. They support the Archives in preserving, protecting and sharing the documentary history of Powell River and Region with researchers and visitors.
- Collections Assistant (CA): CAs will assist in the inventory of the museum collection and perform other duties regarding the care and management of the collections including re-housing, inventory and cataloguing collections including the management of collection records in the database. This will require working with and accepting training and direction from the Collections Manager.
- Collections Photographer (CP): The CP will digitally photograph aspects of the museum collection. This will require working with and accepting direction from the Collections Manager.
- Visitor Services Assistant (VSA): VSAs provide the first impression of PRHMA, assist with admissions and Gift Shop sales, and respond to requests for museum information. VSAs will also provide interpretive services to Museum visitors by sharing information and stories about the displays in the exhibit galleries, and will assist staff with the set up and delivery of special events. VSA’s are needed for both the Forestry Museum and the Powell River Historical Museum during the summer season (June 1-September 30), and for special events throughout the year.
- Website Development Assistant (WDA): WDAs will assist in the development of content for the PRHMA website. Duties will include creation and input of content and some building and layout design. WDAs will also help to edit and clean up online materials, and prepare photos for use on the website by cropping, resizing and other modifications using photo editing software.
If there is a special project or research topic you are interested in and that you think is of value to the PRHMA and to the history of Powell River and region, a proposal may be submitted along with the volunteer application. Projects will be approved at the discretion of the PRHMA Heritage Manager, and Collections Manager.