Sam Sing, a Chinese immigrant, was one of the first merchants in Townsite, arriving in the area in 1907. He first set up a laundry on "Shack Street" and later opened the Sing Lee Building in 1913, where the current Townsite Public Market is located. There, he had a grocery and rented space to other merchants. At the time, Townsite residents were discouraged by the Powell River Company from shopping at the Sing Lee Building. Sam was eventually bought out by the PR Co. in 1923 and went on to set up a new store and building at the Shingle Mill, on the north side of the river. This new venture including a grocery, a butcher shop, general merchandise, and bachelor accommodations.
The Sings lived in Wildwood, at the corner of Chilco Avenue. They also had a produce store at the top of the Wildwood hill called " China Block," a farm at the end of King Avenue and another in Okeover Arm.
Sam Sing passed away in 1937 and his thriving business was carried on by his children. The Penny Profit store was operated by his daughter-in-law May and his son Paul, and closed its doors in 1987. May passed away this year on April 4th at the age of 101. Westview Radiators today, is still operated by Sam's grandson, Jack Sing.
* click thumbnails to enlarge photos