Banham Farm Seeder
Object ID: 2015.55.4
This hand held seeder was originally used on the Banham farm property in Wildwood. It measures at 17 inches in length and is made of fairly light metal, perfect for spreading grain or grass seed over a larger area. The top of the artifact is a canvas bag which holds the seed, and attached to that is a shoulder strap for carrying. As the crank handle is turned, the metal tray attached to the wooden base below spins and a continuous spray of seed is released.
Jack Banham Jr, son of Bessie and Jack Banham Sr., donated this item to the museum after finding it in the barn on his family farm. Bessie and Jack began to work the land of their pre-emption in Wildwood after their marriage in 1920, and the property was known for its many fruit trees. Simpson-Sears, the manufacturer of the seeder, was not formed until 1952, so it is likely that the family acquired this seeder in the 1950s and used it to sow grass, wheat, or oats.
Crown land claimed for settlement and agricultural purposes. When Wildwood was first settled, to obtain a crown grant for pre-emption it was necessary to clear five acres, do improvements to the value of $10.00 (approximately $250 dollars today) for each acre in the pre-emption, and the homesteader or a relative had to sleep on the property for at least 10 months of the year for the first 5 years.